Microfiction: To Live or Die

 To live only to die, or dying only to live.

For this is the question that will decide my life.

 For I am a long dog, commonly placed in a hot dog bun for laughs. 

For I am white and black, and squirm when I take a bath.

For when I play tug of war, I might yelp in pain.

For my back it might break apart, and damage I will sustain.

For when I play with my humans, my life is made.

For I will continue this way, because without I will have no parade.

To die only to live, For this is my wish.


I wrote this story out of love for my dachshund named ollie. He is the cutest dog, with his black spots and is the only white dachshund I have ever seen. It has been said to me that he is a piebald dachshund which is exceedingly rare. I wrote this poem as a reminder of the dangers dachshunds face doing activities normal to many other breeds. If dachshunds jump up and down, play tug of war, or participate in other activities that are strenuous on their backs they can become paralyzed. This will confine them to a wheel chair for the rest of their lives, which would be devastating for both me and ollie. Ollies favorite things are those which can hurt him the most, which is why I wrote a poem/story that signifies the dangers while also pointing out the need to live life to the fullest, which is a decision each of us needs to make.


Take my toy? I'll steal your sock instead.

Stealing toys, Stealing beds.

Belly rubs, eggs, and treats.

Being a dog is pretty sweet.


Ollie, my piebald Dachshund
Personal Photo



Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, I love your story and your dog! Giving your dog a way to communicate through a micro fiction is totally acceptable and I definitely suggest doing it more haha. I had no idea that dachshunds have so many medical issues that can affect them and their backs leaving them paralyzed. I like how you took this information and made it informational and also creative! This was super well done, and hopefully Ollie is doing okay and is still able to play around :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey DKNK,
    I like the repetition of "For" in your poem. Your dog is so cute and I love that you wrote a story for your dog. Dachshunds reminds me of that Spongebob episode with the guy with glass bone and paper skin. I can see your passion with the poem with the rhymes and the love that you have for your dog. I think it is amazing and I hope Ollie can find some activities that he like that is safe for him to do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to DK, Drift King

Week 7 Story: The Eyes Deceive