Microfiction: 300 Spartans x2

Death of Peace

Three hundred Spartans gathered in the Hot Gates facing an army thousands to their size, their backs facing toward their home, wifes, daughters, and sons. The men knowing their demise imminent rushed forward yet. The formation in their phalanx second to none, slaughtering wave after wave of enemies to the point you could no longer step on solid ground. Yet, the Spartans had lost no one. Xerxes Stood up from his golden throne carried by a number of exotic slaves. He cried out "Leonidas! When you are defeated, I shall spit upon you and take your wife as my slave!". Leonidas in a moment of rage, stepped out from behind the phalanx and thrust his spear at Xerxes killing him.

Artist Rendering of The Battle of Thermopile
Wikipedia


Wish it, Want It , Receive It?

Xerxes wished dishonor upon spartan men. He himself was among those dishonored.


I picked the Battle of thermopile because I like the movie, The 300, and the historical event it is based upon. I choose to write a reversal of the original story because I wished that the Spartans lived and Xerxes died.

Comments

  1. Hi DKNK,
    I must admit I was unfamiliar with the source for this story. Battles are not typically my favorite parts in history, but after reading about the battle this story is based on, I can see why you would want to retell it with a more gratifying ending. I like that you chose to write about a historical event that has practically become a legend with both its people and the modern pop culture.
    May the randomizer allow me to read more of your work in the future,
    -A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi DKNK! After reading so many long, drawn-out battle sequences in books, I wasn't sure at first that a battle could be reduced to microfiction, but I'm very impressed with your ability to condense it here! You managed to keep me entertained while simultaneously providing me with all the information I needed to understand what was happening. I also loved that you changed the ending because of how you wished it had gone. This story was fun to read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to DK, Drift King

Week 7 Story: The Eyes Deceive